From steam locomotives to Shinkansen bullet trains, the museum houses 53 railway vehicles that make up an index of Japan’s modernization efforts. Examples of these historically valuable railway vehicles would be the first edition of the 0 Series Shinkansen, the 500 Series Shinkansen that made the Guinness Book of World Records for reaching speeds of 300 km per hour, and the C62 steam locomotive, boasting to be the largest in its class to tow post-war express trains.
The museum’s giant diorama, measuring roughly 30 meters in width and 10 meters in depth, is operated by an attendant and features model trains that are about 1/80th the scale of the actual trains. The diorama replicates the rail yard and other facilities indispensable to the railway and lets visitors experience the railway system as the models run along their tracks.
Visitors can also experience the job of real train conductors by using an operating simulator used for training. Visitors can learn the job of a conductor from all different angles: from being introduced to the bags they carry during operation and the tools they use to trying on the clothes they wear.
Closer look at different train editions in the collection
Learn about the railway history and explore the railway vehicles exhibition
Experience Operating Simulator
- Mondays-Tuesdays and Thursdays- Sundays: 10:00hours – 17:30hours (GMT+8)
- Last admission: 17:00hours (GMT+8)
- The museum is closed every Wednesday and New Year season (30 December to 1 January)
- The museum is open during the holidays
- Please note that opening hours are subject to change. Please refer to the official website for exact opening dates and hours before your visit
- Admission ticket to Kyoto Railway Museum
- Operating Simulator experience
Not Inclusive of
- The SL Steam experience
- Coin lockers rental
- Audio Guide
- Personal expenses and any other expenses not mentioned above
- Infant 0-2 can enter the museum free of charge
- The e-ticket is valid for 90 days after the booking date
- Visitors are allowed to re-enter the museum after exit on the date specified. Please present the physical admission ticket to staff when re-enter the museum.
- Admission ticket is required to be presented for operating simulator experience
- Customer will be required to present your passport as proof of age.
- For student ticket, valid student ID card is required for verification.
- Please proceed to Early-bird Pre-purchase Ticket Window for entrance to avoid the crowds
- You will receive a confirmation email and voucher within 3 working days.
- In the event that you do not receive an email from us, please check your Spam folder or notify us via email
- No cancellations, refunds and amendments can be made.
Terms and Conditions
- Tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received. In the event if the date selected is not available, alternative arrangements will be communicated via email.
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor.
- The value of the e-ticket is in local currency.
- The e-ticket cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion. Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket will not be accepted by Travel Recommends and the appointed merchant.
- Travel Recommends reserves the right to adjust the prices based on current exchange rates without prior notice.
- Prices may vary on seasons and weekdays/weekends. Travel Recommends reserves the right to change prices without prior notice. In the event where changes are made, the revised figures will be posted on the website.
- Travel Recommends and the operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence.
- Travel Recommends will not be responsible should the merchant cease the product or the product is not available anymore.